5 HEALTH BENEFITS OF INSTALLING A SPA
Imagine coming home from a long day at work and unwinding in your very own luxury spa and swimming pool in the comfort and privacy of your own backyard. Sure, a spa is a great way to relax and leave the day behind, but did you know spas and hot tubs also offer a wide variety of health benefits, too?
Our ancient ancestors had it right. For centuries, they used the soothing, hot water spa for a variety of different ailments. Today, many healthcare professionals recommend spas to promote overall good health.
1. Relief of Arthritis. Warm water stimulates blood flow to sore joints and muscles, reducing inflammation and pain. It also enables the joints to move better and widens the range of motion.Spas, Pools, and Arthritis by The Arthritis Foundation states, “Regular sessions in your hot tub help keep joints moving. This restores and preserves strength and flexibility, and also protects your joints from further damage.” As with arthritis, hydrotherapy has helped for sports injuries, joint pain and even in some cases of fibromyalgia, especially since total body emersion is possible in a spa.
2. Diabetic Help. The New England Journal of Medicine published a study showing how a group of type 2 diabetics improved with hot tub therapy. Since the spa stimulates the blood flow in similar patterns as exercise does, it replaced some of the exercise needed to improve their health. Further studies at the McKee Medical Center in Colorado showed patient’s average blood sugar levels were reduced by 13 percent while partaking in a hot water spa therapy study allowing some patients to even reduce their insulin.
3. Healthy for the Heart. The American Heart Association states that, “heat from hot water spas leads to a process called vasodilation, or the widening of blood vessels.” This allows less pressure on the blood vessels and can actually lower blood pressure even though the heart is pumping harder, whereas exercise will often raise blood pressure.
4. Sleep Inducing. Many studies have shown the benefits of soaking in hot water before going to bed. There are a few different thoughts as to why, one being the body temperature drop a person experiences when leaving the water works as a signal that it’s time to sleep. Another thought is because of the relaxing affect hot water has on the body, the body and mind are in a state that promotes better sleep.
5. Stress Relieving. This is the most commonly known spa affect. The science behind this relaxing remedy has to do with hormones. This works in a couple of different ways. One is because warm water reduces the hormones that cause stress. The other is that when stress is alleviated, the body secretes hormones that causes the muscles to relax.
Invest in your health with a beautiful, relaxing spa you will enjoy all year-round. Call Blue Haven Pools today to find out more about creating your own private retreat – all in the comfort of your own backyard. With plenty of design and size options, our experts work with your budget, creating a tailor-made pool and spa that’s perfect for you.